Citrus Hills Intermediate School
Beginning Band Program
(FOR BRAND NEW BEGINNERS TO A BAND INSTRUMENT)
The purpose of Beginning Instrumental Music is to:
• develop the techniques needed to produce a characteristic tone on each student’s chosen instrument.
• teach each student the chromatic fingerings within the basic range of his/her instrument.
• teach each student to read musical notation in the clef appropriate for his/her instrument.
• teach each student to recognize and produce basic rhythmic values.
• develop good technical habits such as posture and instrument holding position.
• teach each student to observe dynamics in musical performance.
• develop in each student a sense of responsibility to himself/herself and to the others in the ensemble.
• help each student realize a sense of pride in the work he/she produces through focused preparation and attention to directions.
• develop self-control, discipline and independence as it relates to classroom behavior and individual practice.
• prepare each student for participation in a more advanced ensemble.
• Tone Production (a concept of characteristic tone and the skills needed to achieve it)
• Scales (all major scales for one octave and the chromatic scale for at least one octave; these are used to familiarize the students with all the fingerings and finger patterns in the basic range of each instrument)
• Technique (selected scales and etudes requiring progressive skills)
• Performance (participation in at least two public performances)